Aftab Alam, the Malegaon youth on hunger strike
since May 16, had been shifted to the general hospital after his
condition deteriorated late in the evening yesterday. He, however,
declined to take medical aid and ran away from the hospital.
"He was brought to the hospital
yesterday evening after his condition deteriorated and he was
needing the medical aid. He, however, refused to take the medical
aid and ran away from the hospital late in the evening",
Superintendent of the government owned General Hospital Dr Jadhav
said while speaking to ummid.com.
Aftab Alam is now sitting in the
pendal at Mushawerat Chowk once again continuing the fast unto
While speaking to ummid.com, he
said, "The Tahsildar had taken me to the hospital promising I
would be discharged from the hospital in two hours. However, when
they pressed me to stay in the hospital, I left the hospital at
11:00 in the night."
According to Bulund Iqbal, one of
the front leaders of Nidharmi Sanghatna, Aftab Alam fell
unconscious yesterday afternoon when Tahsildar came and said he
needed immediate medical aid.
"On the request of the
Tahsildar we agreed to shift Aftab Alam to the hospital after he
promised to discharge him as early as possible", Bulund added.
Aaftab began his fast unto death on
May 16 at Mushawerat Chowk in Malegaon against Dy Superintendent
of Police (DYSP) Avinash Kumar, who, he alleged, is bias against
the peaceful protesters.
"Kumar is biased against the people
who are protesting peacefully at Mushawerat Chowk for the release of
the Muslim accused arrested in the 2006 Malegaon blast case and a
ban on Hindutva terrorists", alleged Aftab Alam while speaking to
ummid.com a day before he was shifted to the hospital.
Mushawerat Chowk is one of the sites
which had witnessed the blast on September 08, 2006.
About his demands, Aftab said,
"Unless written assurance is given that no case will be filed
against peaceful protesters, all previous cases are withdrawn and
Kumar is transferred from Malegaon, my fast unto death will
According to Mustaqueem Dignity of the Nidharmi Sanghatna, three people were
sitting on 24-hour hunger strike on rotation basis since April 25
demanding release of the local youths arrested in the 2006
Malegaon blast and a ban on RSS and other Hindutva organisations
for their alleged role in terrorism.
"However", he alleged, "After ten
days, DYSP Avinash Kumar started filing cases against the peaceful
protestors under section 102 of Mumbai Act. Shocked, we approached
Dy Collector Ajay More on May 11 and lodged complaint against the
DYSP, and also sought action against him. When we did not get any
reply from the Dy Collector, we left with no option but to start
the hunger strike", he said.
"Our protest is totally peaceful.
Prior permission has also been taken from the local authorities
and we are paying Rs. 60/- per day to the Municipal Corporation
for the pandal", he said.
According to him, the police has
filed cases against 30 of the 69 people who have taken part in the
peaceful protest. Tired of what they called as the 'police high
handedness', they started the hunger strike.
Meanwhile, the 24-hour hunger strike
also continues peacefully at the same place with two new people
joining the protest every day.