Mumbai: The application process for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2015, an all-India examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in engineering and science, will be commencing from September 01.
Interested candidates will have to apply online through the zonal GATE websites of IISc or any of the seven IITs.
GATE is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras and IIT Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Government of India.
The candidates have to pay a non-refundable application fee of Rs 1500 (Rs 750 for female/ SC/ ST/ PwD candidates). The fee can be paid either online or through e-challan via State Bank of India or Axis Bank (additional bank charges may apply).
The GATE 2015 score will be valid for a period of three years from the date of announcement of results. Earlier, the two-year validity rule was serving as an obstacle for students, who wanted to do their MTech after joining jobs and gaining appropriate working experience.
All the papers in GATE 2015 will be held in online mode only, and few of the exams will be conducted in multiple sessions.
Amartya Singh, course director (GATE), said increasing the validity period of scores will provide a wider window for application to MTech courses.
"This change would provide flexibility to students", he said.
He further said that instead of February-March, the GATE exam will now be conducted in January-February. Also, the students would now be provided with an online calculator during the exam and no personal calculators would be allowed.
The GATE score of a candidate reflects the relative performance level of a candidate. The score is used for admissions to various post-graduate programs (e.g. Master of Engineering, Master of Technology, Doctor of Philosophy) in Indian higher education institutes, with financial assistance provided by MHRD and other government agencies.
The question paper for all the subjects will contain 65 questions carrying 100 marks, out of which 10 questions belonging to the General Aptitude (GA) section carry 15 marks.
Engineering Mathematics will carry around 15 per cent of the total marks, General Aptitude section will carry 15 per cent of the total marks. The remaining 70 per cent of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.
General Aptitude section will carry 15 per cent of the total marks. The remaining 85 per cent of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.
Multiple choice questions (MCQ) which will carry 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. These questions are objective in nature, will have a choice of four answers each, out of which the candidate has to mark the correct answer(s).
Numerical answer questions which will carry 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. For these questions the answer is a real number, to be entered by the candidate using the virtual keypad. This type of question will not have any choices for the candidate to choose from.