New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday said that the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) will conduct the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) on May 1 and July 24 for admission to under-graduate medical courses as it had earlier directed.
Besides NEET, the medical entrance examination being conducted by some states including Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Telangana and others will also take place separately.
Saying that the examinations will go on, an apex court bench headed by Justice Anil R. Dave asked Additional Solicitor General Pinky Anand and others to file applications seeking whatever relief they want.
Earlier in the morning, Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi addressed the court seeking modification of its first day order contending that a large number of students who had their schooling in the regional languages not proficient in English will find it difficult to appear in NEET 1 to be held on May 1.
This would be discriminatory, the attorney general said, making a strong plea that the court should allow the exam being conducted by states along with NEET.
The CBSE is conducting the NEET in the current year only in English and Hindi.
The Supreme Court had yesterday agreed to the Centre's plan of two-phased common entrance exam for medical courses to be held on May 01 and July 24.
Earlier, members of various parties in Lok Sabha on Friday opposed holding of the first phase of common entrance test for MBBS and BDS on May one saying it gives little time to students, with some of them also demanding that states be given time till 2018 to adapt.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Jagdambika Pal (BJP) said a single-phase test should be held on July 24 to give all students equal amount of time, a demand support by Rajiv Satav (Cong) who however also added that the Centre should first move the apex court to get time till 2018 for states like Maharashtra.
The Maharashtra government, Satav said, had urged the Supreme Court to give it time till 2018 as it had already come out with the schedule of the test held by it, but the court did not accept its argument.
Pal said the two dates for National Eligibility Entrance Test will give advantage to students taking the exam in the latter phase and the students who have to appear for it on May one would be "under stress".
Arvind Sawant (Shiv Sena) said the students could earlier write the examination in their mother tongue but this time their options are limited to Hindi or English as the CBSE said it is not left with time to offer more choices.
"The HRD Ministry should go to the Supreme Court," he said.
Satav said 80 per cent of the students of Maharashtra would be adversely affected by this decision.