New Delhi: The last date for filing of income tax returns (ITRs) for the financial year 2016-17 has been extended to August 5. The original deadline was July 31.
In view of the difficulties faced by taxpayers, date for filing of Income Tax Returns for FY 2016-17 has been extended to 5th August, 2017.— Income Tax India (@IncomeTaxIndia) July 31, 2017
The IT department had earlier rejected the reports that the government was planning to extend the last date to file Income Tax Returns (ITR).
“The last date for filing of Income Tax Returns (ITR) remains July 31. There are no plans to extend this deadline. The department has already received over 2 crore returns filed electronically. The department requests taxpayers to file their return in time,” the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) official said.
The IT department however today announced that the deadline to file ITR has been extended till August 05, 2017.
On reports of the e-filing website facing some glitches, the official said that no major glitches have been reported with the department’s e-filing website -- incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in -- barring a few times when the portal was “interrupted for maintenance”.
Follow the steps given as under to file Income Tax Returns (ITR) by July 31, 2017.
- Download Income Tax Returns (ITR) Software for the relevant assessment year from the "Downloads" page of incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Prepare the Returns using the downloaded Software.
- Gather all the information regarding your income, tax payments, deductions etc
- Pre-populate the personal details and tax payments/TDS by clicking on the 'Pre-fill' button.
- Enter all data and click on 'Calculate' to compute the tax and interest liability, and final figure of Refund or Tax payable.
- If Tax is payable - remember to pay immediately and enter the details in appropriate schedule. Repeat above step so that tax payable becomes zero.
- Generate and save the Income Tax Returns data in XML format.
If the return is not uploaded with DSC, the ITR-V Form should be printed, signed and submitted to CPC within 120 days from the date of e-Filing. The return will be processed only upon the receipt of signed ITR-V.