Cairo: The Arab League has called an emergency meeting at the level of permanent delegates on Wednesday May 4, 2016 at the request of Qatar to discuss the serious escalation of the situation in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
In a memo circulated to the delegates of member states on Saturday, the Arab League announced that the agreement on holding the meeting was decided after consultations and contacts made by the General Secretariat and the Kingdom of Bahrain – the current president of the Arab League Council – with member states and the approval of two states to holding the meeting, namely Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, as it is stipulated in the rules of procedure of the Arab League in such cases.
In a note submitted to the General Secretariat of the Arab League earlier on Saturday, the State of Qatar requested the holding of an emergency meeting to discuss the deteriorating situation in Aleppo, as well as the killing and wounding of hundreds of civilians as a result of the continuous shelling on the city by the Syrian regime forces.
Meanwhile, nearly 30 air strikes hit rebel-held areas of Syria’s northern city of Aleppo on Saturday and the total number of people killed by the warring sides after nine straight days of bombardment reached more than 250, a monitoring group said.
However, a temporary “regime of calm” announced by the Syrian army late on Friday appeared to have taken hold in two other areas blighted by recent fighting, in the northwest coastal province Latakia and outskirts of the capital Damascus.
The Syrian government said the “regime of calm” - from which a military source said Aleppo had been exempted - was an attempt to salvage a wider ceasefire deal reached in February.
The February truce, brokered by Washington and Moscow, has all but collapsed in fighting that has intensified, particularly in and around Aleppo as peace talks in Geneva have crumbled.