New Delhi: Rejecting the reports that the government is planning to extend the last date to file Income Tax Returns (ITR), the tax department on Sunday said the last date to do so remains July 31 and there is nothing on card as such to extend the deadline.
“The last date for filing of Income Tax Returns (ITR) remains July 31. There are no plans to extend this deadline. The department has already received over 2 crore returns filed electronically. The department requests taxpayers to file their return in time,” the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) official said.
On reports of the e-filing website facing some glitches, the official said that no major glitches have been reported with the department’s e-filing website -- incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in -- barring a few times when the portal was “interrupted for maintenance”.
Follow the steps given as under to file Income Tax Returns (ITR) by July 31, 2017.
- Download Income Tax Returns (ITR) Software for the relevant assessment year from the "Downloads" page of incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Prepare the Returns using the downloaded Software.
- Gather all the information regarding your income, tax payments, deductions etc
- Pre-populate the personal details and tax payments/TDS by clicking on the 'Pre-fill' button.
- Enter all data and click on 'Calculate' to compute the tax and interest liability, and final figure of Refund or Tax payable.
- If Tax is payable - remember to pay immediately and enter the details in appropriate schedule. Repeat above step so that tax payable becomes zero.
- Generate and save the Income Tax Returns data in XML format.
If the return is not uploaded with DSC, the ITR-V Form should be printed, signed and submitted to CPC within 120 days from the date of e-Filing. The return will be processed only upon the receipt of signed ITR-V.