New Delhi: A day after Modi government stated position about the Kohinoor Diamond being gift to the East India Company, the government on Tuesday reiterated its resolve to make all possible efforts to bring back the art treasure in an amicable manner.
"The factual position is that the matter is sub judice at present. A PIL has been filed in the Honourable Supreme Court that is yet to be admitted", a statement issued by the government said.
"The Solicitor General of India informed the Supreme Court about the history of the diamond and gave an oral statement on the basis of the existing references made available by the ASI. Thus, it should be reaffirmed that the Government of India has not yet conveyed its views to the court, contrary to what is being misrepresented", the statement added.
The Court granted six weeks time on the prayer of the Solicitor General to take instructions for making his submission in the matter.
"The status report on which the preliminary submission was made by the Solicitor General have references to the stand taken by Governments earlier that the Kohinoor was a gift, and cannot be categorized as an object stolen", the statement said.
The material further has references to the views of India’s first Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru dating back to 1956. Pandit Nehru went on record saying that there is no ground to claim this art treasure back. He also added that efforts to get the Kohinoor back would lead to difficulties, it added.
Pandit Nehru also said, “To exploit our good relations with some country to obtain free gifts from it of valuable articles does not seem to be desirable. On the other hand, it does seem to be desirable that foreign museums should have Indian objects of art.”