Ummid Assistant

Applications open for Manmohan scholarship at Cambridge

IIM-Trichy to offer short courses too at Chennai centre

Welcome Guest! You are here: Home » International

Five killed in opposition, pro-Mursi clashes in Cairo

Thursday December 06, 2012 06:52:17 PM, IINA

Cairo: Egypt's army has deployed tanks outside the presidential palace after a night of deadly clashes between opponents and supporters of President Mohamed Mursi.

Four tanks and three armored personnel carriers were stationed meters from the front gate of the palace in northern Cairo as hundreds of Mursi's partisans chanted slogans in support of the president early today, Al Jazeera reported.

 

At least five people have been killed and over 440 people injured in the Egyptian capital as pro- and anti-government protesters clashed near the presidential palace on yesterday evening, the health ministry said.

 

Fighting continued into the early morning on Thursday with fires burning in the streets where the opposing sides threw stones and petrol bombs at each other.

 

"No to dictatorship," Mursi's opponents chanted, while their rivals chanted: "Defending Mursi is defending Islam."

 

Riot police were sent in to break up the violence on Wednesday, in which about 350 people were injured.

The opposition is demanding Mursi rescind a decree giving him nearly unrestricted powers and shelve a disputed draft constitution that the assembly passed hurriedly last week.

 

Al Jazeera's Sherine Tadros, reporting from Cairo, said hundreds of protesters remained in the streets before dawn on Thursday, but that most of Mursi's opponents had retreated.

 

A small group of opposition activists had been camped outside the palace since Tuesday night, when tens of thousands rallied against the presidential decree.

 

Supporters of Mursi marched to the palace on Wednesday and tore down the opposition's tents.

 

Witnesses said they threw stones and used clubs to attack demonstrators. Thirty-two people were arrested on Wednesday, according to a statement from the interior ministry.

Protests spread to other cities, and offices of Mursi's Muslim Brotherhood in Ismailia and Suez were torched. Both sides blamed the other for starting the clashe.

 

Opposition leaders said Mursi was responsible for the bloodshed, while senior Brotherhood officials accused the opposition of "inciting violence".

 

Mursi did not make any public appearances on Wednesday, but his prime minister, Hisham Qandil, issued a brief statement calling for calm "to give the opportunity for the efforts being made now to begin a national dialogue".

 

Hours after the clashes began, a spokesman for the Brotherhood called on protesters to leave.

 

Mahmoud Ghozlan said both sides should "withdraw at the same time and pledge not to return there, given the symbolism of the palace". Our correspondent said the main message now was a call for dialogue.

"What's really significant and saddening, and very worrying for a lot of people in this country watching their TV screens, is that these are Egyptian civilians fighting Egyptian civilians," she said.

 

"The country is so divided and polarised. That has been the situation for many months, but it was made all the more intense two weeks ago when Mursi issued this constitutional decree giving himself sweeping powers."

 

The crisis continues to divide Mursi's government. Three of Mursi's advisers resigned in protest on Wednesday. Two other top Mursi aides resigned last week, including Samir Morcos, a prominent Coptic Christian scholar.

 

The decree issued by Mursi on November 22 barred the courts from dissolving the controversial 100-member constituent assembly which has been drafting a new constitution. A final draft of the document was sent to Mursi last week, and it is scheduled to face a public referendum on December 15.

While protesters battled outside, Vice President Mahmoud Mekki held a news conference inside the palace and tried to calm the situation.

 

He urged the opposition to rein in street protests, and said political groups could agree on a plan to amend contentious articles after a new parliament is elected in 2013.

 

He called for "communication between political forces" on the document.

 

"There must be consensus," he said. "There is real political will to pass the current period and respond to the demands of the public."

 

A group of prominent opposition leaders, including Mohamed ElBaradei, Hamdeen Sabbahi and Amr Moussa, held a press conference in Cairo on Wednesday night and dismissed Mekki's offer.

 

ElBaradei said the opposition is open to dialogue, but not until Mursi revokes his decree.

All three men blamed Mursi for the violence outside the presidential palace.

 

"He has lost the moral legitimacy to lead Egypt," said Sabbahi, who placed third in the presidential election earlier this year.

 

But the Muslim Brotherhood quickly turned around and blamed their opponents for the clashes.

 

Gehad el-Haddad, a senior adviser to the Freedom and Justice Party, accused the three opposition leaders of "inciting violence".

 

"It's very sad to see opposition leaders such as ElBaradei, Hamdeen and Amr Moussa to resort to such levels of talk," he told Al Jazeera. "Such disrespect to the sanctity of peaceful protesting, within the context of democracy, is very alarming."
 





 



 
 

 

 


 

Home | Top of the Page

Comments

Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.ummid.com

Comments powered by DISQUS

i

I

More Headlines

Discourse in Ayodhya moves from religious frenzy to FDI

Is infidelity written all over a man's face?

Top security officers among 500 named for 'rights violations' in J&K

Indians in UAE help families develop in India

Four Indian Americans named 2013 Marshall Scholars

Lok Sabha disrupted over Babri Masjid demolition

India restricted to 316, England start cautiously at Eden

Indian scientists develop technique to detect genetic variations

Akali leader arrested for killing police official

Protests in Karnataka over Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu

 

Top Stories

Lok Sabha disrupted over Babri Masjid demolition

The members targeted the government for failing to take action against people who demolished the 16th century Babri Masjid in Ayodhya in Uttar Pradesh  »

Key players in Babri mosque razing

The Babri morass: How did it all transpire

20 years after Babri razing, India has moved on

 

  Most Read

Mumbai riots 1992-93: The days that changed the city

It had erupted into a frenzy of riots, senseless killings, mobs brazenly moving around armed with sticks, rods, swords, chains, bottles, bulbs and tubelights to maim or kill. The riots continued thus in two  »

Politics of hatred doesn't pay: Babri Masjid demolition eyewitness Mark Tully

Government wins FDI vote - SP, BSP help out

The Manmohan Singh-led government saved itself some possible embarrassment Wednesday when it comfortably won the vote in the Lok Sabha on foreign investment in multi-brand retail that is  »

FDI Debate: SP, BSP walk out of Lok Sabha before voting

FDI vote win is victory of CBI, says opposition

Opposition, allies slam FDI in parliament debate

 

  News Pick

Post 'Love Jihad' caste assertion in Tamil Nadu

Interestingly, Ramadoss’ insinuation that Dalit boys are on the prowl to “lure” girls from caste Hindu communities resemble the “love jihad” theory that Hindu fundamentalists used against Muslims   »

Declare Sir Syed birthplace a national heritage site: AMU alumni

A team of senior Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) Alumni based in New Delhi met the Chief Minister, Sheila Dikshit November last week and urged her to acquire and declare the Haveli  »

Narendra Modi, Congress partners in loot: Kejriwal

Aam Admi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal Tuesday accused Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi of giving undue favours to some corporate companies and said the impression of him being honest was wrong.  »

US lawmakers back Zakia Jafri, other Gujarat riot victims

A bipartisan group of US lawmakers joined family members of the victims of the 2002 Gujarat riots, including the widow of a former Indian parliamentarian, to seek a US visa ban for Gujarat Chief Minister  »

US lawmakers seek US visa ban for Narendra Modi

 

Picture of the Day

Tri Service Chiefs paying homage at Amar Jawan Jyoti, India Gate on the occasion of Navy Day in New Delhi on December 04, 2012.

 

Recommend the story to your friends

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

RSS  |  Contact us

 

| Quick links

News

 

Subscribe to

Ummid Assistant

 

National

Science & Technology

RSS

Scholarships

About us

International

Health

Twitter

Government Schemes

Feedback

Regional

History

Facebook

Education

Register

Politics

Opinion

Newsletter

Contact us

Business

The Funny Side

Education & Career

     

 

 

Ummid.com: Disclaimer | Terms of Use | Advertise with us | Link Exchange

Ummid.com is part of the Awaz Multimedia & Publications providing World News, News Analysis and Feature Articles on Education, Health. Politics, Technology, Sports, Entertainment, Industry etc. The articles or the views displayed on this website are for public information and in no way describe the editorial views. The users are entitled to use this site subject to the terms and conditions mentioned.

© 2012 Awaz Multimedia & Publications. All rights reserved.