logo
Welcome Guest! You are here: Home » Coronavirus Outbreak

Gujarat CM blames Tablighi Jamaat for Coronavirus epidemic in Ahmedabad

Gujarat has so far recorded more than 5,400 Coronavirus positive cases in a number of districts of the state

Monday May 4, 2020 6:20 PM, ummid.com News Network

Coronavirus Gujarat New Update

Gandhinagar: In a clear violation of World Health Organisation (WHO) guidelines, Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani Monday blamed members of Tablighi Jamaat for the alarming rise in Coronavirus Disease (Covid-19) spread in Ahmedabad.

"A large number of people attended the Tablighi Jamaat event in Delhi and came back to Gujarat. By the time we could track them, they had already come in contact with their friends, family and other people around them. This led to the rise in cases in the city", Rupani said during an interview with news agency IANS.

Gujarat has so far recorded more than 5,400 Coronavirus positive cases in a number of districts of the state, including 3,817 cases and 208 deaths in Ahmedabad alone.

"If we talk about Ahmedabad, more than 60 per cent of the total cases are from cluster regions, i.e. 20 per cent area of Ahmedabad has 80 per cent of the cases and the remaining 80 per cent area registered 20 per cent cases", Rupani said.

Also Read | Govt, not Tablighi Markaz, to blame for Corona Pandemics deaths

Tablighi Jamaat was linked to Coronavirus spread in India after it emerged that some of its members from different states and abroad stranded at its Markaz Nizamuddin in Delhi were found positive for Covid-19.

This resulted in a hateful campaign against members of Tablighi Jamaat in particular and the entire Muslim community in general.

A number of analysts though have not only slammed the "communalisation" of Covid-19 epidemic but have also accused the government in Centre and the states ruled by the BJP of encouraging such narratives to hide their own failure in containing the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Rupani's statement came hours after senior Member of Parliament and Congress Treasurer Ahmed Patel questioned the silence of he National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on "Stigmatisation of Muslims" by BJP and its supporters.

For all the latest News, Opinions and Views, download ummid.com App.

Select Language To Read in Urdu, Hindi, Marathi or Arabic.

Share this page

 Post Comments
Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.ummid.com
.

Top Stories

Logo