New Delhi: The nationwide lockdown - the fourth phase of which ends on May 31 - is likely to be extended beyond this date with more relaxations as most Indian states are in favour of continuing it for two more weeks, sources said on Friday.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah conveyed the views of states on the issue to Prime Minister Narendra Modi at his residence at 7, Lok Kalyan Marg, in Delhi earlier in the day.
The sources pointed out that many states, majority of them ruled by the BJP, are in favour of the lockdown extension for the fifth time due to increase in novel coronavirus cases in the wake of return of migrant workers from different states and Indians stuck abroad.
On Thursday, Amit Shah held telephonic talks with Chief Ministers of different states as to how successful the fourth phase of the nationwide lockdown had been and what all were the expectations and demands of the states.
He held separate discussions with Chief Minister of his Bharatiya Janata Party-led governments in the states.
The sources said most Chief Ministers favoured lockdown extension for two more weeks, with focus on containment zones and normalisation of activities in other zones. The Goa Chief Minister wanted a 15-day extension.
The sources said that the Ministry of Home Affairs was busy devising the strategy to be adopted in the fifth phase of the lockdown in the background of the feedback received from different Chief Ministers.
For all the latest News, Opinions and Views, download ummid.com App.
Select Language To Read in Urdu, Hindi, Marathi or Arabic.
How BUMS Doctors Created Wall Against Coronavirus in Malegaon
Lockdown 5.0: Govt likely to limit restrictions only in Containment Zones
High time for Medical Sciences to embrace Islam
India's worst recession is here
Also Read
India's stringent lockdown has lasted longer than expected: Fitch
US House passes bill calling sanctions against China for abuse of Muslims
Makkah Haram restrictions till June 21, Umrah to remain suspended
'Why is govt silent': Jamiat Ulema in SC on fake news linking Tablighi Markaz with Covid-19
No point in talking about Corona-Tablighi Markaz link now: Union Health Minister
Global COVD-19 death toll 355,615; Over 100,000 die in US alone
India reports over 4500 Covid deaths as on May 28, Maharashtra worst hit
OnePlus 8 Series 5G Special Limited Sale on May 29, open sale deferred
OnePlus partners with Epic Games to support Fortnite game at 90 fps
Xiaomi to launch Mi Notebook series in India next month