Cairo/Washington: Traffic increased and some business establishments reopened
hesitatingly but protesters continued their vigil in Cairo's Tahrir Square as the uprising to oust President Hosni Mubarak
entered the 14th day Monday, amid reports that a Google executive
who went mysteriously missing 10 days ago could be released.
Hundreds of protesters camped through the night at the public
square, which has been focal point of demonstrations against
Mubarak and his 30-year uninterrupted rule. Mubarak, who has ruled
since 1981, has said he is ready to quit, but not now.
Though protests were continuing at the square, the reopening of
business establishments in other parts of the city brought some
semblance of normalcy to the capital. Traffic in the streets too
"There's a lot of popular public sentiment in Cairo and wider
Egypt regarding what those protesters are trying to achieve but at
the same time, people are trying to get back to live as normal
lives as possible," said an Al Jazeera correspondent.
"But some of the shopping malls for example are still closed
because they're afraid of looting, and the banks yesterday were
only open for a few hours."
Protesters were upbeat after the news broke out that political
activist Wael Ghonim, who is Google's top executive in the Middle
East, was going to be released Monday, Wall Street Journal
The protest organisers at downtown Cairo's Tahrir Square adopted
him as a symbolic leader. Ghonim is considered to be part of a
small group of political activists in Egypt whose online efforts
helped spark the ongoing demonstrations.
"They (the authorities) told us they'll probably bring him to us,
and that he will likely be escorted by security," Ghonim's
brother, Hazem, was quoted as saying.
Naguib Sawiris, a billionaire businessman, said that Egypt's Vice
President Omar Suleiman told him that Ghonim would be released.
"The boy is a hero. When he is released he will become the living
hero of this revolution," Sawiris said.
Though Mubarak has refused to quit, the government made efforts to
negotiate with the long banned Muslim Brotherhood following
increasing pressure from US President Barack Obama and other
Muslim Brotherhood, which has been banned since 1954 after being
convicted of plotting to kill then president Gamal Abdel Nasser,
held talks Sunday with the government.
The group said it was just a beginning they also insisted that no
substantive concessions had been offered. Some committees were
formed to look into core demands, DPA reported.
A statement from Vice President Omar Suleiman's office said the
government has offered to form a committee to examine proposed
constitutional amendments, pursue allegedly corrupt government
officials, "liberalise" media and communications and lift the
state of emergency in the country when the security situation was
deemed to be appropriate.
Salma El-Tarzi, who was at Tahrir Square, said she was indifferent
to the talks.
"The political parties can do whatever they please because they
don't represent us," she was quoted as saying.
"This is not a revolution made by the parties. The parties have
been there for 30 years and they've done nothing. This is the
Amid the unrest, the Egyptian foreign ministry accused a number of
diplomatic missions of attempting to smuggle weapons and special
communication equipment into the country, RIA Novosti quoted the
Youm7 web portal as reporting Monday.
The ministry alleged that in the past two weeks there have been
repeated attempts to bring in weapons and special equipment in
diplomatic bags, which are not usually inspected.
"Nevertheless, the corresponding agencies have seized all items
that may not be brought into the country," the ministry said.
It did not name the countries involved, nor did it specify the
kind of weapons or special communications equipment they had
attempted to smuggle in.
The unrest which began in Egypt Jan 25 has left some 300 people
dead and caused massive damage to the North African state's