Direct link to scholarships offered by  Govt. of India

List of Private NGOs offering scholarships

Abu Marwan Abdal Malik Ibn Zuhr: ‘Avenzoar’

Abu Marwan Abdal Malik Ibn Zuhr, known in the west as Avenzoar, was

Ummid Assistant

AMU declares entrance test dates for its UPSC coaching centre

Welcome Guest! You are here: Home » International

Libyan unrest toll tops 100 but Gaddafi says will stay in Libya

Sunday February 20, 2011 06:23:06 PM, Agencies

Related Articles

Death toll in Libyan, Yemen unrest rising

Even as more deaths are reported in clashes between government supporters and pro-democracy protesters in Yemen  »

Scores killed as unrest spreads in Arab world

Fresh protests in Libya, Opposition says dozens shot dead

Troops open fire at protesters in Bahrain, more than 60 injured

Cairo/Tripoli/New Delhi: Libya's eastern city of Benghazi continued to be tense Sunday, a day after at least 15 people attending the funeral of anti-government protesters were shot dead by security forces, taking the toll in unrest against the 41-year rule of Muammar Gaddafi to over 100. However, sources claim neither Muammar Gaddafi nor his family will leave Libya.

Egyptians in Benghazi have taken to the streets to demand an end to the rule of 68-year-old Gaddafi, who has ruled the country ever since he took over the reins in a bloodless coup Sep 1, 1969.

Libya, with a population of over six million, has one of the largest oil reserves in Africa.

The protesters in Libya have been emboldened by successful revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt. Tunisian leader Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali was overthrown in January while Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak resigned Feb 11. There also have been anti-government demonstrations in the region - Yemen, Bahrain and Iran.

Violence escalated Saturday in Benghazi as security forces reportedly opened fire at a funeral, leaving at least 15 people and scores injured.

The victims were mourning the deaths of protesters who had been killed during anti-government demonstrations during the past week, witnesses said, bringing the toll to over 100 in six days of unrest, Al Jazeera cited opposition groups as saying.

Some media reports put the death toll in the Libyan unrest at 200.

Indians safe

Amid reports of protests being violently put down in Libya, India Sunday assured that all Indians are safe in that country.

"Indians in Libya safe. Embassy in touch with Indians and Indian companies throughout Libya," Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao posted on her twitter account Sunday morning.

According to Ministry of External Affairs, there are about 18,000 Indians in Libya.
 

More deaths
DPA reported that the numbers of dead -- which range from 15 to 25 to 200 -- appeared to be in addition to the 84 people confirmed dead by Friday by New York-based Human Rights Watch, which said its figure was based on phone interviews with hospital staff and witnesses.

Ahmed, a Libyan businessman who resides in Benghazi, told Al Jazeera that hospitals were running out of blood as they were overwhelmed with the number of the injured following the crackdown by security forces Saturday.

"It's a big, big massacre. We've never heard of anything like this before. It's horrible," he was quoted as saying.

Mariam, a doctor who spoke to Al Jazeera from a hospital in Benghazi, said: "It's a massacre here. The military is shooting at all the protesters with live bullets, I've seen it happen with my own eyes. The military forces are everywhere, even from the hospital I work, we are not safe. There was an 8-year-old boy who died the other day from a gunshot to the head - what did he do to deserve this?"

Ahmed, another Benghazi resident, said: "Right now, the situation is even worse than earlier today. Shooting is going until now. And at a nearby hospital, at least 150 people have been admitted, those injured and dead...the military is all over the place."

The uprising in Libya has largely been in the eastern cities of Benghazi, Bayda and Tobruk. But a media report said the protests have begun to spread to the country's west.

The internet service has also been cut off.

Protests in the country began Feb 14, and barely three days later tens of thousands of anti-government demonstrators surged out into the streets in what organisers called a "day of rage".

Sir Richard Dalton, former British ambassador to Libya, told the Independent that "Gaddafi will find it hard to make concessions in order to survive. I think the attitude of the Libyan regime is that it's all or nothing."

 

Gaddafi remains defiant

Neither Muammar Gaddafi nor his family will leave Libya, the Asharq al-Awsat newspaper Sunday quoted sources within the clan as saying, following days of violent protests calling for the long-time leader's removal.

"He insists on dying on Libyan land," the sources said, adding that all members of Gaddafi's family who were living abroad came back to the country last Thursday.

Emboldened by successful revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt, thousands of Libyans have been calling for the ouster of Gaddafi, who has been in power for 41 years.

Reports out of Libya said that dozens of protesters were killed in clashes with security forces Saturday, with soldiers said to have used live ammunition.

 

 

 

 

  Bookmark and Share                                          Home | Top of the Page

Comments

Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.ummid.com

Comments powered by DISQUS

More Headlines

PM hopeful budget session will be productive

A Kashmir store that pickles your imagination

World Cup: Easy win for New Zealand against Kenya

Reading test for British kids to include 'non-words'

Mid-term poll question haunts Yeddyurappa

New internet protocols users must know about

Death toll in Libyan, Yemen unrest rising

World Cup: India beat Bangladesh by 87 runs

MP to reserve 25 seats in private schools for poor children

Bhutto Murder: New arrest warrant against Musharraf

Speaker, party leaders optimistic about budget session

Egypt court approves country's first Islamic party

 

 

 

Top Stories

Death toll in Libyan, Yemen unrest rising

Even as more deaths are reported in clashes between government supporters and pro-democracy protesters in Yemen, several dozen more  »

Scores killed as unrest spreads in Arab world

Fresh protests in Libya, Opposition says dozens shot dead

Troops open fire at protesters in Bahrain, more than 60 injured

 

Picture of the Day

Performers participate in the World Cup Cricket opening ceremony at the Bangabandhu National Stadium in Dhaka on February 17, 2011.

(Photo:  AFP/Munir Uz Zaman )

 

  Most Read

Speaker, party leaders optimistic about budget session

Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and leaders of various parties hope that the budget session of parliament    »

Women's reservation bill among 66 listed for budget session

MP to reserve 25 seats in private schools for poor children

Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has said that Antodaya Mela will be organised every year in order to provide benefits of public welfare schemes to the poor people. Half of the budget of State Government will be spent only on poor people. Chouhan was addressing an   »

 

  News Pick

Kerala families keep anxious eye on Bahrain

Families and regional experts in Kerala are anxiously following the ongoing turmoil in several Middle Eastern countries, especially Bahrain which has a large Indian diaspora. "Of the 2.3 million Keralites in the   »

Europe's biggest Hindu temple to come up in Netherlands

The biggest Hindu temple complex in Europe - consisting of three temples, residential areas and tourist spots - is going to be built in the Dutch city of The Hague. Three Hindu groups would be building three temples on   »

After attacks, Dalits flee two Rajasthan villages

In two Rajasthan villages, atrocities against Dalits take place over the flimsiest of reasons - a hen being run over, or a goat straying into the house of another community. The Dalits are now fleeing their homes. Dalit families of   »

National Conference to take on 'anti-peace' forces

The ruling National Conference (NC) will take on the "anti-peace" forces in Jammu and Kashmir and push for a result-oriented India-Pakistan dialogue while simultaneously seeking an end to the era of confusion on   »

Bhutto Murder: New arrest warrant against Musharraf

The anti-terrorism court in Pakistan's garrison city of Rawalpindi Saturday again issued an arrest warrant in the Benazir Bhutto assassination case against former president Pervez Musharraf, a media report said. Judge Rana Nisar,   »

 

 
 
 
 
 

RSS  |  Contact us

| Quick links

News

 

Subscribe to

Ummid Assistant

 

National

Religion

RSS

Scholarships

About us

International

Culture

Twitter

Government Schemes

Feedback

Regional

History

Facebook

Education

Register

Politics

Opinion

Newsletter

 

Contact us

Business

Career

     

Education

       

 

 

Ummid.com: Disclaimer | Terms of Use | Advertise with us | Link Exchange

Ummid.com is part of the Awaz Multimedia & Publications providing World News, News Analysis and Feature Articles on Education, Health. Politics, Technology, Sports, Entertainment, Industry etc. The articles or the views displayed on this website are for public information and in no way describe the editorial views. The users are entitled to use this site subject to the terms and conditions mentioned.

© 2010 Awaz Multimedia & Publications. All rights reserved.