Follow us on
Welcome Guest! You are here: Home » International
Indian national Father Alexis freed by Taliban after 8 months
Sunday February 22, 2015 7:55 PM, IANS

More than eight months after he was kidnapped, Indian national Father Alexis Premkumar Antonysamy has been released by the Taliban in Afghanistan. Prime Minister Narendra Modi Sunday expressed happiness at the release and spoke to Father Alexis.

The external affairs ministry said 47-year-old Alexis, who was kidnapped June 2, 2014 from Herat province in western Afghanistan by terrorist elements, has been released.

At the time of his abduction, Alexis was working with the Jesuit Refugee Service, an international NGO, doing work in the educational field in Afghanistan.

The matter of his release was pursued by India, "including at the highest levels by the prime minister", the ministry spokesperson said in a statement.

"We express our deep gratitude to all those who worked tirelessly over the last eight months to help in this humanitarian task of ensuring the safe release of one of our citizens."

"Father Alexis Premkumar is now back in the safety of his homeland and arrangements are being made for him to rejoin his family soon," he said.

Prime Minister Modi tweeted: "Delighted at securing the release of Indian Jesuit priest Father Alexis Prem Kumar from captivity in Afghanistan. Have spoken to Father Alexis Prem Kumar. Informed happy family of Father Alexis Prem Kumar of his safe return after 8 months in captivity."

In June 2014, after the kidnapping, then Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa had written to Modi seeking his intervention in securing the release of Alexis, who hails from the state.

Modi had assured that the "government will spare no effort" to ensure the early release of the priest.

Alexis was Afghanistan director of the Jesuit Refugee Services (JRS), an educational charity, and was living in the war-torn country for over three years.

He had accompanied a teacher on a visit to a school near Herat when he was kidnapped.

His abduction took place 10 days after an attack on the Indian consulate in Herat by four heavily armed gunmen carrying rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns.

Share this page
Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of
comments powered by Disqus
| Quick links
Contact us
Subscribe to: RSS » Facebook » Twitter » Newsletter Disclaimer | Terms of Use | Advertise with us | Link Exchange is part of the Awaz Multimedia & Publications providing World News, News Analysis and Feature Articles on Education, Health. Politics, Technology, Sports, Entertainment, Industry etc. The articles or the views displayed on this website are for public information and in no way describe the editorial views. The users are entitled to use this site subject to the terms and conditions mentioned.
© 2012 Awaz Multimedia & Publications. All rights reserved.