Gandhinagar: The Gujarat Technological University (GTU) Wednesday postponed the Final Year Exams 2020 in the wake of Coronavirus epidemic, according to the latest news update. GTU Final Exams were scheduled to begin on Thursday.
GTU postponed the Final Year Exams even as it got the state government's nod to hold them as per its announced schedule.
"On the basis of the directions received from Government of Gujarat, GTU hereby declares that University theory exams commencing from July 2 or 3 (whichever is applicable) for regular students of UG/diploma final semester is cancelled till further orders", GTU said in an official notification released today.
"The new exam date and schedule will be declared soon", GTU sources said.
The Gujarat government had on Wednesday allowed GTU and other colleges and universities to conduct final year examinations.
"The SP University and the Teacher's University conducted examinations last week. The GTU has announced examination dates. Gradually, other universities and colleges in the state will also conduct final year examinations", Education Minister Bhupendrasinh Chudasama said.
The Minister said the GTU had conducted an opinion poll on it's website on holding of examinations. Around 54,000 students replied in affirmative as they wanted to move on, get the certificates for jobs or pursue higher education. Only 900 students opposed holding of examinations, he added.
The GTU had also said it would conduct examinations while maintaining social distancing, use of masks and sanitizers, and by making other arrangements across its 350 centres, Chudasama said.
The GTU had given the students three options -- the classroom examinations that will begin on Thursday, online examinations, and special examinations to be held on improvement in coronavirus situation.
The students living in containment zones or those who are not willing to take classroom examinations can either go for online examinations or special examinations, the dates for which will be announced later. The online examinations will be held from July 21, as declared by the GTU earlier.
The Congress had opposed the decision to conduct the examinations and had demanded that the students be mass promoted.
"The corona crisis in Gujarat is out of control. More than 32,000 people have been infected and over 1,800 lost their lives. At such a time, the University Grants Commission (UGC) and various other committees, set up in different universities and colleges, recommended cancellation of all examinations and a merit-based progression. Despite this, the GTU has gone ahead. This is playing with the lives of students," said Amit Chavda, Gujarat Congress president.
In the current situation no examinations be conducted and all students should be mass promoted, Paresh Dhanani, Leader of the Opposition, told IANS.
For all the latest News, Opinions and Views, download ummid.com App.
Select Language To Read in Urdu, Hindi, Marathi or Arabic.
What about Chinese phones? Experts ask after App ban
Also Read
India bans 59 Chinese Apps, Here is the full list
Modi Govt must return donations by Chinese firms: Captain Amarinder Singh
Visually impaired Haroon Kareem scores A+ in Kerala SSLC 2020 Exams
Kerala SSLC 2020 declared; Pathanamthitta Top District, 41,906 students got A Plus Grade
9 dead as Karachi police foils terror attack on Pakistan Stock Exchange
China forcing birth control on Uyghur Muslims to suppress population
Does PM Modi really care? India asks amid protests over Petrol, Diesel price hike
#SpeakUpForOurJawans: Maha Congress campaign slams Centre on India-China border issue
'If Nepal doesn't come out of China's clutches...': RSS concerns over strained ties
Karnataka SSLC student gets Covid positive report during exam
Student writing Karnataka SSLC Exam 2020 falls ill, rushed to hospital
Global Covid-19 deaths cross 500K mark as fatalities across the world surge
Gujarat registers 620 new Corona cases, Surat overtakes Ahmedabad
Maharashtra new Covid-19 cases fall below 5K, Pune crosses 25K patients
India deploys more troops in Eastern Ladakh as China sets up new camps
Modi denies intrusion by China, Sonia wants seized territories back
'Unbelievable, Shocking': Veterans, Twitter erupt as Modi denies intrusion by China