Amaravati: With the coronavirus continuing to spread in Andhra Pradesh, the state government on Saturday announced the cancellation of Class 10 (SSC) examinations scheduled to begin from July 10.
Education Minister Adimulapu Suresh told reporters that students will instead be graded on merit and guidelines in this regard will be issued soon.
Suresh said that the government also decided to cancel Advanced Supplementary exams for Intermediate (Class 11 and 12).
The Minister also announced that all students who failed in intermediate examinations will be promoted to the nex class.
"We have tried our best to conduct the SSC examinations from July 10 and also made changes to the exam pattern to reduce exposure of students to infections. However, with the increase in COVID-19 cases, Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy has instructed to cancel the examinations," he said.
He pointed out that neighbouring Telangana and Tamil Nadu have also cancelled board examinations due to the pandemic.
More than six lakh students were set to appear in the SSC exams from July 10 to 17. The examinations were originally scheduled in March/April but postponed twice due to the nationwide lockdown.
Following relaxations in the lockdown, the state government had decided to hold the examinations from July 10 but reduced the number of exams to be held from 11 to 6 to reduce the burden on students.
The Minister said the decision to cancel the examinations was taken keeping in view the best interests of the students and their parents.
There have been demands from students, their parents, various organizations and opposition parties to cancel the exams in view of the COVID-19 situation.
Earlier this month, the Telangana government had cancelled the Class 10 examinations and promoted students to the next class on the basis of internal assessment.
For all the latest News, Opinions and Views, download ummid.com App.
Select Language To Read in Urdu, Hindi, Marathi or Arabic.
Modi denies intrusion by China, Sonia wants seized territories back
Also Read
Asaduddin Owaisi blames PM Modi for Ladakh crisis
'Strange Egoistic Govt': AAP, AIMIM, RJD not invited for all-party meet on China
Entire company of 120 Indian soldiers was trapped by Chinese PLA
17 Indian soldiers injured in face-off with China succumb, death toll 20
'Violent face-off' between Indian-Chinese forces in Ladakh, 3 killed
Amid high drama, BJP wins Manipur RS seat, allies in Meghalaya, Mizoram
BJP-led Manipur govt in trouble as 3 MLAs resign, 6 others withdraw support
TikTok, UC browser among 50 China-linked Apps red flagged by Indian intelligence
Tibetans in Delhi's Majnu Ka Tila bat for India as standoff with China worsens
Delhi govt joins chorus demanding cancellation of CBSE 2020 Board Exams
'One of our biggest fears became a reality': Atlanta erupts over Rayshard Brooks death
Were we better off during the Cold War?
Zoom shocked to see itself in list of red flagged Chinese apps
China witnesses new Coronavirus wave, Beijing emerging as new Covid hotspot
Corona count in Ahmedabad approaches 18K, Gujarat death toll nears 1.6K
Maharashtra 120K Covid-19 cases, 5,751 deaths highest in India
Now students urge govt to postpone JEE, NEET
#StudentLivesMatter trends on Twitter as universities prepare for Final Year Exams