Do start your preparations for IGCSE examinations by the help of this article which gives you with the preparation tips, tips to choose the best courses for your IGCSE exam. For students who are yet to start their Class 9 and are here to seek class 9 subject choice help then you are perfectly in the right place.
Well, this part focuses more on the school that you are studying/aiming to study in. You have the choice, but the most obvious choices are as follows:
- Commerce group (Compulsories + Business, Economics, Commerce/Accounts/Both)
- Medical group (Compulsories + Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
- Engineering (Compulsories, Physics, Chemistry, in some cases Computers (ICT)
- Math (how ever most schools give Add Math as an optional subject)
Apart from these, there are also many ‘optional’ subjects that are available like Sociology, Environmental Management, Add Maths, Commerce, World History, Combined Sciences etc.
However, with these decisions comes the “most” important component of ‘what to pick’. Kindly don’t pick every subject that you can think of. It’s genuinely the most awful decision. Pick the subjects you have an enthusiasm in. In case that you have the ability for Geography and feel you can get a handle on the ideas and advantage from a subject relating to Geography, you may add Environmental Management to your count or if you are sure that you’re selecting Engineering the future, then Add Math to it, its likely to be a compulsory subject for you.
The “billion” An’s are helpful just and only in case you’re applying abroad, the US specifically. While it’s praiseworthy that the class 9 outcomes make about just 20-30% of your Academics half of the application, and the Academic’s so acclaimed “half” itself is scarcely around 30% (barring your SAT scores).
In case you would want to take up, say, Engineering, you can run with Physics, Chemistry, Additional Math. Indeed, even Computers is not required at the class 9 level, however keeping it is an additional in addition to point. In the event that you are in for an extra A, you may take up another subject of your interest. A typical class 9 Engineering located students subject of premium is Biology, Bio-Technology and Genetic Engineering is a subject of unbelievable scope ahead and has a brilliant future.
Apart from these, you can also opt for second and third languages. French is very easy to learn and is highly regarded by the Universities abroad. Universities abroad and now here, give a weight-age to the proficiency in understanding and speaking languages apart from English. Spanish, German, Chinese and French are great options.
Class 9 Self Study Tips
You should study on an average 130 hours for each class 9 subject.
- Allocate enough number of hours each day/ week in your calendar for each subject. This should depend on how much time is left.
- Thoroughly go through the syllabus of each subject. You should understand the objectives and assessments on which you will be examined about in the exam. The syllabus will also outline the number of Papers.
- Learn from various sources and methods. First study from your textbooks and then research the same on internet. Youtube also has good videos on various topics. You can also refer reference books mentioned in the syllabus.
- It is important to know what the examiners need to see in your answer and what are the scoring points. You should read the examiner reports of all past year papers. Here you will learn the mistakes to avoid.
- Do the past papers. 10 past year papers are more than enough.
- Mark your doubts, in case of any ambiguity contact your teachers or post here we will assist you with the best IGCSE tutors.
Class 9 Maths and Additional Maths Study Tips
These two require something beyond the fundamental learning. The more practice you have, the happier you are thoughtfully. Extra Math is typically a feared subject since individuals don’t practice it well and it’s a major bounce from class 9 Math to Additional Math. It’s simple, and less demanding to score in than class 9 Math. Ensure you practice loads. Once you’ve done with the books, come to past papers and attempt them honestly. The more you practice, the more you gain confidence, the easier the paper for you to score.
Class 9 Physics, Chemistry and Biology Study Tips
- Make sure your conceptual learning is given the 100%
- Some part, formulae, names of stuff, bond type etc need to be memorized, but you must know what is formed if compound X is added in compound Y not because you learnt it from the book, but because you’re analyzing the chain reaction.
- Past papers. The past 5 years adding onto our online tutoring sessions are more than enough.
- MCQs, the part most taken for granted and go ‘less’ prepared as they feel are easier, are actually the toughest and decide your grade.
- Chemistry and Physics ATP are the most scoring papers in the trio. Make sure you get 100% in these as it’s literally nothing, and a standardised pattern with different values as such is follows.
Class 9 Commerce Study Tips
This is perhaps one of the easiest class 9 subjects.
Do the past 8 years of Paper 2 past papers and at least 10 years of Paper 1 past papers since the questions very often repeat from the old papers in Paper 1 and obtaining a high mark in paper 1 is essential for an A grade.
Class 9 English Language Study Tips
- You might have heard this thousands of times, but it is true. Reading newspapers and books improves your grammar, vocabulary, and sentence structure. Read up on the recent Medical issues, economical problems etc. You’ll have no issues answering the Directed Writing part.
- Book reading and general vocabulary is the obvious answer to essay part.
- You must score very high in the paper 2, comprehensions, to get the best marks and A’s. It’s very easy to score in the comprehensions. Do lots of comprehensions as the more the practice, the better you are, despite the older papers not covering the newer requirement of the syllabus.
- You need to do revision papers, write eloquently, and speak grammatically sound English
- Make a practical timetable for your studies. Allocate adequate time for all the subjects. More time for your weaker subjects, but do not ignore your stronger areas.
To start your IGCSE preparations, book your first online IGCSE tuition session today.
[This article is written by Chaitra R, Digital Marketing Specialist at Vagupu, an online tuition market place.]