Dr. Farogh Makhdoomi, one of the accused in the 2006 Malegaon
blast case, is on hunger strike since April 05, 2011 demanding
speedy trial of his case.
"Dr Farogh who has been lodged in
the Arthur Road jail is observing hunger strike since April 05
demanding decision on his discharge application", Iqbal Makhdoomi,
father of Dr. Farogh, said to ummid.com on phone.
Iqbal Makhdoomi is in Mumbai for the
hearing in the Special MCOCA Court on the discharge application
filed by the accused about a year ago.
"Since he has not taken any food
since April 05, his health has deteriorated. Today, when he was
brought to the court, he was walking with the help of two
persons", he added.
According to Iqbal Makhdoomi, Dr
Farogh had written a letter to the authorities in March this year
pleading innocence and demanding decision on his discharge
application by April 04. Failing which, he had written, he would
go on hunger strike.
"He waited till April 04. But when
he did not receive any response, he started his hunger strike
from the next day", he said.
Dr Farogh and other accused had
filed the discharge application pleading innocence about a year
ago and the arguments from both the sides were completed four
However the case took an unexpected
turn when in January this year Swami Aseemanand's confession
appeared in the media. Consequently, the accused filed bail
application in the special MCOCA court. The court, however,
rejected their application on March 15.
A series of blasts had struck
Malegaon on September 08 in 2006 ahead of Shab-e-Barat, a
Muslim festival when thousands of people were busy offering Friday
prayers at the Hamidia Masjid. Another blast occurred at nearby
Mushawerat chowk few minutes later. 32 people had been killed and
more than 300 were injured in the blasts, most of them being