United Nations: The United Nations has announced that it has started going partially paperless by stopping printing of press releases.
"Starting today, the News and Media Division of the Department of Global Communications (DGC) will no longer print hard copies of press releases," UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres's spokesman Stephane Dujarric said at a news briefing on Tuesday.
"This is part of our ongoing effort to save paper, to go paperless and to save money," he was quoted as saying by Xinhua news agency.
The spokesman didn't disclose how much will be saved a year by doing so.
On the pigeonholes standing in the second-floor corridor of the UN Secretariat Building, all back issues of the printed press releases had been removed with only two copies of UN "Journal", dated April 9, resting in two of the several hundred slots.
Two pieces of notice, in English and French, were put on the wall above the pigeonholes, which read: "Printed press releases are no longer available."
The notice encouraged journalists and other people to visit a specific website to download the digital press releases.
For decades, hard copies of press releases in Chinese, English, Russian, French, Arabic and Spanish, were occupying the eight sets of pigeonholes with several hundred slantingly vertical slots.
A UN staffer said that the latest annual budget for DGC has been reduced to $82 million as against $89 million previously proposed.
"It's a big cut," the official told the news agency, adding that there were almost no newly-added jobs for the media and another department this year.
"I fully support the decision to stop printing hard copies of press releases, as printing them not only costs a lot of money, the demand for them has dropped dramatically as well," he said.
"People nowadays prefer digital versions of press releases rather than hard copies for their easier copy and paste. It's greener and money-saving as well," he added.
For all the latest News, Opinions and Views, download ummid.com App.
Select Language To Read in Urdu, Hindi, Marathi or Arabic.
Election Commission is suffering from crisis of credibility: President Kovind told
2019 Lok Sabha Elections: Campaigning ends for 1st Phase
Fierce battles between BJP-Sena and Cong-NCP alliances in North Maharashtra
Also Read
2019 LS Polls: Keen tussle is on for 04 seats in Maharashtra's Konkan Region
Bijnor Lok Sabha 2019: Naseemuddin Siddiqui to take on former BSP colleague
Alappuzha Lok Sabha 2019: Congress nominee is only Muslim woman candidate in Kerala
Rampur Lok Sabha 2019: Azam Khan, Jaya Prada rivalry is not just about politics
2019 LS Polls: Murli Manohar Joshi to be joint Opp candidate against Modi?
BJP MLA Anil Gote quits, to cheallenge Subhash Bhamre in Dhule
AMU, Jamia Millia Islamia among India's top 20 universities
A Mistake In 2019 LS Elections Could Prove Costly For A Long Time